Evangelism is Grounded in God’s Word
- God’s word was the foundation for everything in Jesus’ life.
- Jesus had told the disciples that he would fulfill everything written about him in the Old Testament.
- Jesus prepared the disciples to evangelize when he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.
- The seed that causes one to be born again comes through the word of God.
- It impossible to be saved without hearing the good news (which is from the Bible).
Evangelism is Based on Christ’s Work
- Salvation is available because of Jesus’ suffering and rising from the dead.
- The cross is central to the gospel message. Because of the cross:
- We are legally declared legally righteous (justification).
- God’s wrath is satisfied (propitiation).
- God and man are reunited (reconciliation).
- We become his children (adoption).
- We are freed from sin (liberation).
- The price for our sins is paid (redemption).
Evangelism is a Call to Repentance
- True repentance and forgiveness of sins always go together.
- This repentance is not making yourself stop sinning.
- You aren’t capable of doing this in any significant way.
- To the degree that you can do it, it’s only superficial and doesn’t represent true transformation.
- This repentance is letting go of your sin in faith that God will transform you.
- This still takes striving and self-control.
- But it is God who supplies all of the transforming power.
- The point of the gospel is to free people from their sin.
- Evangelism that ignores repentance is really not evangelism at all.
Evangelism Begins Where You Are
- Jesus told the disciples to evangelize ________________ first
- This was according to the ________________ God planned for the gospel to go to the world
- But it also illustrates that you don’t need to ________________ to share the gospel
Evangelism Extends to the World
- Jesus told the disciples that these things should be proclaimed to all nations.
- In addition to sharing the gospel locally, we must be committed to global mission.
Evangelism Undertaken by People
- Jesus told the disciples that they were the witnesses of these things.
- The means by which the gospel goes out is someone preaching.
- This includes formal preaching.
- But it also includes any time the gospel is explained consistent with God’s Word.
Evangelism is Powered by the Holy Spirit
- Jesus said that the disciple would receive power from on high, meaning the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit empowers evangelism in two ways:
- He supernaturally equips (gifts) the evangelists.
- He prepares, convicts, and quickens (makes alive) the elect.